- Comments are welcome and invited as long as they’re vaguely relevant to the post. Linkbacks aren’t allowed–you can link to these posts, but the linkback won’t appear. (Spam, pure and simple.)
- An email address is required for all comments and is never revealed: I won’t “out” you based on email address or IP address. On the other hand, I don’t require you to register or to sign in with any given account…
- Signed comments are preferred. Anonymous and pseudonymous comments are allowed, but with a little less latitude.
- I will not delete a comment because you disagree with me or make fun of me. Disagreement welcome…and snark is part of life.
- I will delete a comment (or possibly edit it) if you use language I consider unsuitable, if you make personal attacks on anyone else, or if you say anything that’s remotely actionable (libel, slander, etc.)
- I will delete comments that appear to be spam, that appear wholly irrelevant to the post, that seem to be beating a dead horse (especially one that’s not particularly library-related), that contain linked URLs that appear to be commercial or spammish in nature…
- Comments are automatically closed six months after a post appeared, with some allowance for live conversations.
- I attempt to check Spam Karma 2′s results before deleting them, but it’s conceivable that a “real” comment could be trapped as spam–e.g., if it has more than one link, is from someone who’s never commented here before, has a suspicious URL, etc. I’ve only rescued two good comments from Spam Karma in the last six months, so I don’t think this is much of a problem.
- This is not an open forum. I delight in open conversations, even feisty ones, but in the end this is my blog; you’re a guest.