It’s January 31–the last day of the month, when I fetch usage statistics for my websites (as always, omitting about 6 hours of that last day), so here’s an update on GOAJ:
- Paperbacks: No change. Two copies of GOAJ itself sold. So far, none of the others.
- Dataset: 26 more views, 1004 total views; 5 more downloads, 445 total downloads.
- GOAJ: no additional Lulu, 42 total Lulu copies, 2,422(!) more (total 11,584* copies from my site: total 11,626 (actual total almost certainly over 12,000).
- Subjects: No additional Lulu, 19 total Lulu copies, 82 additional, 293* other copies, 312* total.
- Countries: No additional Lulu, 8 total Lulu copies, 112 additional, 1,166* total other copies, 1,174 total.
- C&I: New totals 1,223* copies of the excerpted GOAJ version (16.5) and 3,999* copies of “APCLand and OAWorld” (16.4.)
*Missing downloads from 11/13-11/30/16 and, for C&I, 11/13-12/15/16.
Gray OA and the state of C&I
Gray OA 2011-2016 (Cites & Insights 17.1) shows a total of 818 downloads to date, and no apparent recognition anywhere else that the Shen/Bjork “predatory articles” numbers are demonstrated to be so dramatically wrong; the dataset shows 129 views and only 19 downloads. I’d already concluded that it was crazy to consider updating the study (which probably involved more work than GOAJ); the lack of interest confirms that conclusion–and, of course, the source material’s disappeared in any case.
As for C&I and the balance between new issues of that and work on the second edition of GOAJ (2012-2016, or maybe 2011-2016) can’t help but be swayed by the figures for C&I 17.2: 166 total to date. Issue 17.3 will emerge……..eventually.