It’s clear that the PDF for C&I 6.5 is unacceptably large and slow, with at least one user saying that page 1 never appears. I credit my stupid agreement to accept a 36MB “upgrade” to Acrobat 7.0.7 for this wonderful state of affairs.
For now, I’ve replaced the typographically accurate but uselessly slow version with a very fast, very small, and unfortunately very Ariel (or “whatever”) version (the PDFWriter output from Word); it’s certainly readable, if certainly not what I want.
I’ll replace it with a proper version if and when I can get Acrobat downgraded to 7.0 and get it working properly again..
Update Friday, March 17: I’ve managed to “downgrade” to Acrobat 7.0 and generated a new full PDF, still larger than it should be, but the first page seems to show up in ten seconds or so. So I’ve uploaded that accurate PDF, and will try to solve the underlying problem before the next issue appears. Which is, of course, exactly how I want to spend my writing time…
But for now, you can either download the HTML version (lots more pages, Book Antiqua) or the PDF version (ugly typeface, 28 pages).
I knew it was going to be a special issue. I just didn’t know how special!