There will be an extremely informal gathering of (a few) C&I readers at
5 p.m., Monday, January 23, 2006, in San Antonio
Update January 9, 2006: We have a winner: The Menger Bar. See here for slightly more details.
In this post I asked for advice on possible watering holes at which we could gather, given that I’m not planning to make reservations or arrangements, just show up.
I’ve remembered a little more and done a little more looking (via the web, of course) at the places I was suggesting. They’re all a little problematic:
- Boudro’s, probably the best option for quality of wine and like that, is really a restaurant, not a restaurant/bar, and you really need to “be seated” to order. I don’t think it will work for this purpose.
- I now remember that, while Republic of Texas is fun, the riverwalk portion (as opposed to the inside portion) is small and busy. It may not be ideal either.
- Menger’s bar, while historic, is both off the riverwalk and sort of an unknown. You have to really know you’re going there.
So here’s a couple of other possibilities–and I’d really love some informed feedback, before I make a decision (which will be some time next week):
- Rio Rio Cantina/Naked Iguana saloon: I know Rio Rio has good food, and I believe (but can’t remember for sure) that there’s a pretty good size open riverwalk area.
- Tex’s Riverwalk Sports Bar at the Hilton Palacio del Rio (my favorite chain hotel in SA, although not where I’ll be staying); the outside portion is directly off the riverwalk, and strikes me as a plausible candidate–the Hilton is very close to the convention center and Marriotts. (There’s also Ibiza patio restaurant at the Hilton, probably OK for drinks at 5 p.m., and Durty Mary’s, but the latter tends to be insanely noisy.)
- Steers & Beers in the Rivercenter Mall–I think, but I don’t remember it all that well. (Otherwise, the mall’s mostly been conquered by chains, and Hooter’s is not a candidate!)
Feedback? Other suggestions? Right now, I’m leaning toward Tex’s. The Menger bar is still a possibility.
Oh, and if you’re coming, do let me know, with (of course) no obligation, since nothing’s being done in advance.